What is YA4YA and how is it different from a contest?
YA4YA is a mentoring program where professionals in the young adult publishing industry help intrepid new voices progress through their careers by offering varying levels of mentorships. There is no time limit or agent round, but you can score a mentor who will work with you from draft to query list. Some mentors are offering less comprehensive mentorships, so remember to read each mentor's information to get an idea of what they are offering. The idea is to give back to the community, taking a more long-term approach than traditional contests.
Does that make YA4YA better or worse than a traditional contest?
Neither! It’s just different. There’s a wide array of help and contests available to authors on the internet and you should take advantage of every bit of it. We saw a missing piece of what is a wide and varied puzzle and YA4YA was born. Please see our writing resources page for more information on other writing help available.
Hopeful mentees will be able to meet the mentors in a live Twitter chat and ask them anything! They can also peruse the mentor pages on the YA4YA site and the mentor’s own Twitter/websites to determine who to submit to. Once the submission window opens, you can submit to no more than three mentors. The mentors will take their time reading and requesting material until the mentees are announced on November 1st, 2018. The work begins as the mentee and mentor work to get the mentee’s manuscript to a higher level. There is no deadline; you can agree on timings with your mentor. Remember that there are different levels of mentorship that each mentor is offering, so read their bios and decide what kind of help you need.
A few things to remember
- Only submit your query, first 3 chapters or first 25 pages (whichever comes first), and synopsis. Mentors will request more material as needed;
- Some mentors are offering full mentorships, others are offering smaller critiques. Read the bios and know who you want to submit to;
- Requests may come in slowly or could come very fast. Please have your manuscript ready before submitting;
- Your submission doesn’t have to be an un-queried manuscript, but your query stats maybe requested and taken into account. Something less people have seen is going to be easier to find a home for;
- Please don’t stress over a small mistake in your submission e-mail. We have all been there and will take your submission as a whole into consideration;
- Please read our submission guidelines closely before submitting.
Now that I know all about YA4YA, how can I connect with you?
We can’t wait to see all the amazing books you’re cooking up!
The YA4YA team
The YA4YA team